Monday 7 May 2012

Miniature Embroidery for the Tudor and Stuart Dolls' House

When I started building my Tudor dolls house I bought this beautiful book - Miniature Embroidery for the Tudor and Stuart Dolls' House by Pamela Warner. It gave me lots of ideas for the stitching projects I could make.
   The book is set out in an easy-to-read style with complete instructions for all sorts of things from cushions to bed hangings, from wall hangings to book covers. All are in the styles and designs popular during the 16th and 17th centuries. Some are miniature copies of real examples still existing, for example, in the Victoria and Albert Museum. I found the snippets of historical information given very interesting.
   The stitching charts are shown in full colour. The instructions detail how many skeins of embroidery thread are needed and the codes of the colours used in three brands, DMC, Anchor and Madeira.
   Because most of the projects are worked on 35 count even-weave linen or cotton, or on even finer gauze, I feel the needlework projects are more suited to experienced embroiderers.

No comments:

Post a Comment