Friday 7 October 2011

Edwardian Dolls House: Miniature Knitting

Examples of miniature knitting
Keeping the knitting theme going here! For my Edwardian dolls house I knitted a few things. The first piece of miniature knitting I ever did was the cream shawl. I certainly learnt a big lesson from that - you can't knit something this fine and watch T.V. at the same time!
   The second thing was the blue dressing gown that usually hangs from a hook in the bathroom. That was from a pattern in The Dolls House Magazine.
   Helen's knitted toys inspired me to make a golliwog, a toy that was all the rage in Edwardian times. For the golliwog I took a 'real size' toy pattern and scaled it down by knitting with sewing cotton instead of wool and using #22 (0.9mm) needles. The golly has ended up to be 1 1/2 inches tall. The little navy dress started as a knitted jumper then I had the bright idea of stitching on layers of a navy and white trim to make a skirt so the sweater morphed into a dress!
   In the housekeeper's room, hanging from the wardrobe door, is this black knitted jacket and a long black skirt. The jacket has leg of mutton sleeves with edges bound in 2mm black silk ribbon, a ribbon rosette and black beads as buttons.
   I haven't knitted anything in miniature for a while now. These days my knitting all seems to be 'real size' for the Knit-a-Square charity in South Africa - beanies and peggy squares. Those I can do while watching television!

1 comment: